Well it’s that time of year again…
People start dreaming of turkey’s, and stuffing and sweet potatoes, and collard greens, and ham, and mac & cheese and ALL your favorite food. At the same time people are Christmas shopping and decorating the house with lights.
For me it’s that time when… I GET SICK!!!! YUP. Every year around this time I always… and I mean ALWAYS get sick. Since I was little I was always sick during this season for about 2 weeks or so. Just in case you think I’m making it up, I asked my mother and she confirmed that since I was small I always got ill during this “Wonderful season”.
SO in 2011, during this season, yet again I am sick. I am determined to fight it. I am determined to keep on track. Unfortunately that is not going so well… However I have been able to do a little bit of work and let me tell you I AM GREATLY CHALLENGED!!!!
I am finding more and more people who are existing without passion. People who are existing without purpose. People who are existing but not truly living. It even breaks my heart when people who “know” God are living without the desire to grow in Him.
Well needless to say that I have been there a time or two (definitely more) in my life and it is only because of the Grace that God has given me that I am not there now. I can tell you this though, to ensure that I don’t find myself on that slippery slope of complacency there are a few key things I do.
1) Continue to stay close to what inspires me.
- I have several things that truly inspire me and I make it a priority to live in light of them (i.e. God’s power, music etc.)
2) As a result of that inspiration, develop passions and goals
- This is SO crucial because my passions and goals which stem from what inspire me are like my road map on a journey. There may be times I misread my map but I always have a general idea f where I’m headed due to being inline with what ignites my passions. (i.e. living for God, inspiring/impacting other people)
3) Work with all the strength God has given me to reach those goals, and live in light of those passions.
- No matter what I do if I am connected to something that I am passionate about, that comes from something that inspires me, then I will always find myself living a FUL(L)filled life.
So this holiday season as I try to fight off my cold, I will also be fighting off complacency. I will be fighting against just settling to exist but instead I will be desiring to live a full life from the one who created us…
One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in his temple.